Senior Mobility Tax Specialist
in Morris Plains, NJ 07950
Weichert Mobility Tax Services, located in Morris Plains, NJ, is looking to hire a Senior Mobility Tax Specialist to join our new team. The Senior Tax Specialist is responsible for reviewing inbound and outbound international assignee US income tax returns, preparation of more advanced returns, as well as tax equalizations. The Senior Specialist will perform research to prepare tax returns, and complete assignment cost projections, compensation reviews, and work project reviews.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepares advanced US individual income tax returns for inbound and outbound international assignees, as well as domestically relocated employees.
- Conducts inbound and outbound international assignee tax briefings.
- Conducts detailed reviews and signs basic tax returns for international assignees and domestically relocated employees.
- Plans the tax process and the procedures to be performed. Identifies "gray areas" and communicates related risk potential for contingent tax liabilities.
- Identifies situations when research is necessary, providing an outline of the issue(s) and the appropriate source of research to be conducted. Analyzes researched facts and the sources utilized prior to composing a detailed report of the research findings.
- Ensures client compliance with applicable authorities while identifying options for minimizing the client's tax and reporting burdens.
- Develops, recommends, and implements standard tax methods to provide clients with maximum tax benefits related to current and future tax obligations.
- Documents all significant tax positions, as well as issues, findings, and deliverables in accordance with firm policies.
- Represents clients before any tax authority on contested issues with assistance and guidance from senior WMTS professionals, as appropriate.
- Applies expatriate tax compliance, planning, and global implications to technical and practical issues for assigned clients.
- Identifies and applies income tax treaties and totalization agreements.
- Provides advice on US payroll reporting for expatriate compensation and hypo tax and housing norm deductions.
- Administers pre-assignment and post-arrival consultations with assignees through data gathering interviews.
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration, International Business, Human Resource Management, International Human Resource Manager or other related field required
- Advanced degree in Accounting or Tax preferred
- Enrolled Agent (EA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation preferred
- Three (3) or more years of experience in individual income tax preparation and expatriate tax experience preferred
- Prior experience preparing individual income tax returns required
- Involvement in VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) preferred
- Prior experience in a customer/client service environment preferred
- Prior study abroad or international work experience preferred
- Fluency in foreign languages highly desired
- Ability to understand and apply industry standards, along with firm policies and tax quality requirements as they relate to FAS 109 and FIN48
- Knowledge of appropriate information required in the tax return filing process
- Possesses knowledge of and a familiarity with commonly utilized individual income tax forms
- Working knowledge of tax preparation software and tax research databases
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.